Friday, April 24, 2009

Wow! NASCAR











Noah has been wanting to see a NASCAR race for quite awhile now and has said that he would like to be a NASCAR driver when he grows up (mind you, he knows nothing about NASCAR or any of the drivers, but it all sounds very glamerous and exciting to him). With the track in Phoenix so close, I figured I should give Noah (and myself) the chance to experience it.
So, Noah, my dad and I went to a 500 kilometer race last Saturday night and all we could say was "WOW!" The amount of spectators, the noise of the engines, the speed of the cars, the organized swiftness of the pit crew - it was all more than I had expected.
Since we had no idea what we were doing, we got there just before the race began and ended up parking about a mile and a half away from the track (no exageration) and had to walk to our seats. (Now if this was a Disney sponsored event we would have had a very organized tram to pick us up at our car and get us to the gate and back). Anyway, by the time we got to the track, the race had started and the noise was unbelievable. I knew enough to bring earplugs, but I had no clue! We sat for three and half hours watching the cars go round and round in a deafening roar 312 times. I kept praying for an intermission just so I could hear myself think. Even the constant screaming of Reese for the past two months could not prepare a person.
I think it cured Noah of wanting to become a NASCAR driver when he grows up. I would definitely do it again!
This is us about half way to the track from the car.
This is the only picture Noah would let me take of him.

This video gives you a very slight idea of the noise and speed.

2 comments:

Heather said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heather said...

When Tony and I go to NASCAR we usually get there about 3 hours early. 1 hour to walk from the car to the raceway. (We have learned the hard way that it is better to park way far out because you get out faster after the race.) Then we spend the other 2 hours walking around and looking at all the driver's semis full of stuff to buy and eat all the good food. We usually leave about 50 laps early too to get a head start to the car so we don't have to sit in the parking lot for longer than the race itself. Glad you had a good time. I think everyone should experience one race in their lifetime.