Thursday, August 14, 2008

more Maui

This is the veiw from the backyard of the house - it's no wonder we spent a lot of time there.
Dave and Noah wading into the river in an area of rainforest.
Looking out over the black sand beach at a state park near Hana.












We spent one day on the big island, Hawaii, touring the volcanoes. The volcanic gas coming up from behind grandma, grandpa and Noah is from the vent hole created from an explosion of lava this past March.

















Noah body surfing at the beach in Ka'anapoli

This is where the actual lava is flowing out of Mount Maouna Loa and landing in the sea. The hot lava hitting the cool water creates a geyser of rock, gas, steam and ash.

We did several other wonderful things in Hawaii, but have no record of them. As you know, I claim to be a scrapbooker but am not good at taking pictures - go figure. Well, my camera battery ran out of power about mid-way through our vacation and I had not had the forsight to pack it's charger. What a great scrapbook this vacation is going to make!

Anyway, we went snorkeling with fish and giant sea turtles, ate lots of wonderful tropical fruit - even picked our own pineapple on the plantation, went to a amazing aquarium, of course did some shopping, rode a speed boat that went 60 mph and lots of other activities. I did not want to leave paradise but was a little tired of eating fish and had to get home for the start of school. Although I do not have pictures, I will never forget the absolutely incredible place that Hawaii is.

No comments: